SYNTHETIC OIL

2006 Pontiac GTO

jlownsbury

April, 18, 2009 AT 6:01 PM

2006 Pontiac GTO V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 48216 miles

I had an '02 Camaro SS with a 5.7 V8 and it used regular Pennzoil. I had a '05 Trans Am with a 5.7 V8 and it used regular Pennzoil. I had an '89 Corvette with a 5.7 V8 - - used regular Pennzoil. (There are more) Now I have a 6.0 V8 in my '06 GTO and I'm supposed to use Mobil 1 synthetic, the most expensive made. Question: Can I just use SuperTech (walmart) synthetic? Can I just use oil? What is this? A scam? My mechanic doesn't like me using SuperTech but when I ask him why, he just shrugs. I told him I can hear the lifters now since I put in Super Tech and the gas mileage is affected, and he says it's just my conscience. What's your take? I have mixed thoughts, but overall I think it's a scam. It is HOT here in Phx tho' and supposedly the synthetic is better for that. But I suspect the difference is negligible. Advise, John

98 Leaking/burning Oil

Uses Oil

mmprince4000

April, 22, 2009 AT 8:21 AM

If Pontiac says to use Mobil1 synthetic then use it.

Synthetics ARE different than conventional oils, most noteably in their ability to withstand heat as compared to conventional. They are also highly detergent, keeping the engine cleaner internally and preventing the formation of sludge.

There are more expensive synthetics, Royal Purple for example.

The TV show " Horsepower" recently made a dyno run on a small block chevy (383) with conventional and synthetics. The synthetic made 8 more horsepower, just changing to it from conventional.

It does work, Walmart has had Mobil1 on sale, $10 a gallon, if memory serves. Next time they have a sale stock up. Stay away from the Walmart brand.

Crankcase Ventilation System
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015