IGNITION SWITCH OR STARTER OR ?

Pontiac Grand Am

C_Weber187

October, 4, 2007 AT 8:53 AM

2002 Grand Am GT 3.4L v6 52,000 mi
Every once in a while, when trying to start the car, it would turn over but not fire. Turn the ignition off and try again and it would usually fire right up. Yesterday, it started right up and drove fine, parked the car for about 40 minutes, came back and it won't even try to start. The battery is less than a year old, but I tried to jump it anyway, still nothing. When you turn the key on, all the power accesories work fine. When you try to start it, there is nothing, not even a click. Left the key in the ON position, and shorted the starter solenoid. The car turned over easily, but would not fire. Also tried all of this in Neutral with the same results. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Can't Remove Ignition Key

97 Country Ignition Switch

Service Writer

October, 4, 2007 AT 9:57 AM

Sounds like it may an anti-theft issue, Have seen ignition switches on these go bad, First try a different key.

When you jumpered the starter, the anti-theft is probably not allowing fuel as well as ignition disabling.

C_Weber187

October, 4, 2007 AT 10:38 AM

I have already tried the spare key, and had the same results. Is there anyway to override the security system to see if it is the faulty link?

Service Writer

October, 4, 2007 AT 10:44 AM

Probably, but I haven't done that myself. There are probably wires that can be connected differently. Often, there are codes stored in the computer when this happens.

C_Weber187

October, 4, 2007 AT 12:16 PM

Ok, so I definitely think you could be right about the security system. Went home for lunch today, and just decided to try it, and wouldn't you know it started right up. Let it run for about 5 minutes, shut it down, and retried it. It started right back up. Are there any part stores that can read the computer and get me the error codes?

Service Writer

October, 4, 2007 AT 1:03 PM

Autozone can.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide