98 GRAND AM SE 2.4 I4 ROUGH IDLE THEN DIES AT A STOP

• f3504x4ger
  • 1998 Pontiac Grand Am

Hi,

I have a 98 Pontiac Grand AM SE with the 2.4 I4. I have 95K miles and it is an automatic.

Just recently, sometimes when I come to a stop at a stop sign, my care will begin to idle rough and will die if I do not give it any gas. Once I start it back up, it runs fine. It does not idle rough at every stop but it is happening more and more. When the idel does get rough and when I give it gas to go, it seems to hesitate or choke for a moment and then goes.

I replaced the spark plugs and the spark plug boots/wires and it is still happening.

Coud this problem be the ignition idle air control valve(IAC) or is this due to another problem?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 3:29 PM

• badge726

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? May want to try running fuel/injector cleaner through the system if the fuel filter is changed at specific user manual intervals. That's where I'd start.

-Steve

Sunday, October 21st, 2007 AT 8:58 PM