2002 Pontiac Grand Am shift release

TUESJD4
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND AM
2002 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Automatic

the ignition lock cyclinder on my car needs to be replaced and i'm trying to get it towed to a mechanic. However, the car is parked such that the tow truck cannot reach the front of the car, and they want to charge me a ridiculous fee to move the car so they can get it on the tow truck. Because the key won't turn in the ignition due to the lock cylinder, I am unable to put it into neutral. The mechanic I spoke with said it is possible to put it into neutral without the key, but he wasn't able to tell me how to do that. So, how do I get the car into neutral so that I can move it so it can be towed?
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008 AT 12:45 PM

BUDDYCRAIGG
Look on the bottom of the bezel surrounding the steering column.
There should be a small door, (about the size of a quarter) that you can pop open and use a screwdriver to depress the emergency release for the gear selector.

**remember. Without the engine running, the brakes will not work very well. And you still will not be able to steer the car.
Sunday, December 7th, 2008 AT 6:43 PM