STUTTERING AT FIRST

1997 Pontiac Grand Am

Grand am i confused

June, 10, 2010 AT 12:03 AM

1997 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

my grand am has been running great until recently. Whenever my car is off for a few hours and I go to start it up, it is very rough to start and sometimes stalls. Altough the second try it normally starts right up. Could this be a fuel injector problem?

blackop555

June, 10, 2010 AT 9:52 PM

I would check to make sure that the vehicle is holding its fuel pressure for extended periods of car off and make sure before its started that vehicle fuel pressure is holding good.

Try this.

Turn key on wait for pump to turn off then turn key off back on and repeat 4 times then try to start. Fire right up?

Grand am i confused

June, 15, 2010 AT 9:50 PM

Im thinking the coil may be bad, I dont have a tester but im gonna try that

blackop555

June, 15, 2010 AT 9:52 PM

Alright. But a coil normally doesnt behave that way. Let me know how it goes

Grand am i confused

June, 22, 2010 AT 11:13 AM

What do I have to do if the fuel pressure isnt holding up? Change the injectors?

blackop555

June, 22, 2010 AT 11:35 AM

After pump primes pinch off the return line. Does it hold?

If it holds pump up pressure again and pinch off the in line. Does it hold?

If neither way holds its the injectors.

Grand am i confused

July, 1, 2010 AT 9:12 PM

Well I tested my fuel pressure and it was down to 30. I changed the fuel filter and helped but still did the same thing once in awhile. May test the fuel pressure one more time otherwise its probably the fuel pump. Great $300 fix haha

blackop555

July, 8, 2010 AT 12:25 PM

Sorry to hear that you may need a new pump. I wouldnt get a cheap pump or you may be replacing it again in a few years if your lucky.

Grand am i confused

July, 24, 2010 AT 7:44 AM

Ya I ended up spending $275 on that fuel pump and sure enough my problem was fixed. Damn this car is getting expensive haha

blackop555

July, 25, 2010 AT 8:29 AM

Expensive. But at least it runs now. After everythings fixed its gonna be a brand new car.

Grand am i confused

July, 25, 2010 AT 10:18 AM

It is a new car basically lol. New serpentine belt, new exhaust, new alternator, new fuel pump, new water pump, new thermstat, new timing gears/chain, all with lifetime warranties on the parts lol. All I need now is engine a few plugs and wires and a transmission haha

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right