POWERSTEERING LEAKS BEHIND BRAKE MAST

1997 Pontiac Grand Am

mykey_s

July, 26, 2010 AT 6:08 PM

Steering problem
1997 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 148000 miles

When I drive the car the powersteering is leaking from behind the mastercylinder where it connects to the booster. In the garage I wiped it all down and turned the wheel back and fourth and I saw the fluid coming out from below the mastercylinder where it bolts up. There is only one hose that connects to the booster and I replaced the check valve that the hose connects to. It is not brake fluid, that level does not go down, but the powersteering looses fluid and gets alot of air in it. It seemed to help some when I loosened the powersteering cap and drove it but I know this is not a real solution to the problem. Is my Booster bad? Or is it the Rack or something else?

July, 26, 2010 AT 10:37 PM

Hi mykey_s, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

If its leaking between the brake master cylinder and the brake booster the master cylinder is defective don't get tempted on a rebuild kit-replace it

mykey_s

July, 27, 2010 AT 3:51 PM

Why am I loosing powersteering fluid and not brake fluid? IT DOESN'T LOOSE BRAKE FLUID. This only leaks when I turn the steering wheel. My brakes feel fine. The mastercylinder is full, but the powersteering is loosing fluid.

July, 27, 2010 AT 4:47 PM

When I drive the car the powersteering is leaking from behind the mastercylinder where it connects to the booster. If its not leaking anywhere else-Sounds like the hydro boost pump for the steering and brake is leaking

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado