Here is what I posted in another forum. I really appreciate your help in attacking this problem.
"Thanks all for your help, after spending a total of 2 1/2 hours prying, scraping rust off, and twisting every which way I decided to go buy the rebuild kit and just go that route, 30 minutes later both sides were done and I felt much better as I bled the brakes and there were no leaks. To address all of your answers, the entire brake shoe assembly was removed, the bleeder valve was removed, and someone in another forum suggested I remove the hub assembly. I loosed the bolts on the hub assembly, but it would not separate from the backing plate, and I abandoned that route as well. But I really want to thank everyone for taking a minute or two to answer my question."
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2007 AT 10:13 AM