2007 Pontiac G6 replacement of a catalytic converter and f

BFULCH35
  • 2007 PONTIAC G6
What is a fair estimate for the replacement of a catalytic converter and 4 fuel injectors on my 2007 Pontiac G6. My mechanic wants to charge $1,172. That sounds pretty high to me. He claims the converter costs $460 and each fuel injector cost $87. I have found prices on the internet for far cheaper.
Also if my fuel injectors cause the catalytic converter to fail, would that void the warranty on the catalytic converter?

Thank you for your help
Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 10:35 AM

GM does have a a lot of trouble with injectors, not only that they fail electrically, but that they are not flow-matched at the factory. If one flows more or less than the rest, an incorrect amount of unburned oxygen will show up in the exhaust. Based on the oxygen sensor's readings, more fuel will be commanded by the Engine Computer, but it increases flow equally among all of the cylinders, even those that don't need more. The best way to avoid this is to buy remanufactured injectors because you will get a matched set.

87 bucks is fairly reasonable for a GM injector. When your mechanic buys them and installs them, you will get a warranty for parts and labor to replace them. If you buy them, which is like bringing your own food to a restaurant, and one fails, you will be charged again for the diagnostic time and the time to replace it. You will also have to find and order the replacement again.

$700.00 - 800.00 repair bills every six months are pretty common on newer cars, but it does seem kind of early to have a catalytic converter failure. If the catalyst melted from too much raw fuel and the resulting overheating, the Check Engine light should have been flashing. Is there any chance the converter is still under the emissions system warranty?

Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 12:14 PM