2006 PONTIAC G6 RACK AND PINION STEERING PROBLEMS

• slusser.sc
  • 2006 Pontiac G6

Steering problem
2006 Pontiac G6 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 16060 miles

We just purchased a G6. On dry pavement and wet pavement it drives fine. Today we drove on snow. It was a nightmare. With any amount of snow, ice or slush on the road the car slips sideways when you get over 25 mph. Traction control makes no difference. I thought it was brake calibre hanging up, getting hot and grabbing, but the brake shop says the brakes are fine, I just dont know to drive low profile tires on snow. Just wondering if it could be a busted shock/strut or if anyone has any ideas. If you got a steady 25-30 and hit the slightest bit of snow debris it is like the back end tries to whip sideways on you.

Saturday, January 10th, 2009 AT 8:41 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Wide / low profile tires don't get the traction as a narrower tire would because of the weight distribution. Therefore, yes they are not as good on snow. However, it shouldn't be as bad as described. Make sure the sway bars are in good condition, lift the rear tires and spin them to make sure nothing is binding or dragging, and yes check for a broken coil spring.

Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 1:38 PM