2002 Firebird Air Conditioner A/C Noise and Smell

BDUGAN2145
  • 2002 PONTIAC FIREBIRD
I have a 2002 Pontiac Firebird (V6, 3.8L) with 16,000 miles. I have recently been hearing a loud, high-pitched, squeaking or squeeling noise whenever I turn on my air conditioner. Also, the noise will stop when I turn the A/C off. But, it seems to be going the entire time I have the air condition running, whether it be a couple minutes or even an hour.

Another thing I've noticed is a strange smell coming out of the air conditioner when I turn it on high speeds. Like Max (or even A/C) with the fan set on the highest output. It might sound weird, but it smells kinda like plastic or even a crayon. But it doesn't last very long.

Does anyone know what could possibly be going on? I bought this car back in February from a Chevy dealership, and I bought an extended warranty for it which the car is still covered by. Any help would be appreciated.
Sunday, September 24th, 2006 AT 9:37 PM

PONTIACDAN
First if your extended warranty covers the A/C just take it in.

Sounds like the compressor belt is slipping. Usually caused by a seizing compressor but there is the less likely possibility that the belt is worn or a tensioner pulley is weak. The strange smell suggests the former problem.
Wednesday, October 11th, 2006 AT 9:55 PM

Sponsored links