2000 Pontiac Bonneville Intermittent Power Loss

2000 Pontiac Bonneville 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 96000 miles

Car starts fine and can be shifted into reverse, neutral, 2, and 3, but if you shift from park to drive it stalls. You can start and shift into 2nd or 3rd without a problem and then once going change into drive and the car will run for a bit. While in drive it will slightly lerch forward and the audible sound that happens when you put the key in the ingition will sound and the emergerncy brake light and other lights on the dash will come on for a few seconds, as though I just started the car.

My car has ran fine for the last year that I have owned it, then I was T-boned on the passenger side. When I was hit the impact moved my car about three feet sideways. They replaced the two passenger doors and painted the right side. During the paint job the removed the back seat which exposed the battery and the circuit panels.

What do you think is wrong with the car? Do you think it could have been caused by the accident or the paint over-spray?

Tuesday, February 16th, 2010 AT 10:33 PM

If it engages the starter in D then something is activating it. May want to start with the ignition switch, since it is where the starter signal begins. Test the yellow wire out of the ignition switch for power when in drive. The PCM (computer) gives the final signal to the starter realy, if it is near where the damage occured, it may have something shorting it out

Wednesday, February 17th, 2010 AT 8:21 PM