GEAR INDICATOR BROKEN?

Plymouth Acclaim

Alch

May, 7, 2007 AT 3:54 PM

1995 Plymouth Acclaim, 2.5l inline 4, ~80,000 miles

Hi, my acclaim has been acting relatively normal until I drove into a parking lot today. I pulled in, put it in reverse to readjust how I was parked and when I looked down at the little arrow that indicates which gear you were in, it was still pointing to Drive. Using the gear selector and sweeping across all of the positions did nothing, the arrow continued to point at drive. While this doesn't affect actually driving the car, it would be nice if I could be sure which gear I was in, with out counting the number of steps over from park!

Can anyone suggest how I could fix this? Is it very difficult to pull the gauge cluster out? Are FSM's available for this car? I also own a Nissan 240sx which has a pretty large fanbase so FSM's are plentiful online, but I haven't been able to find any service manuals for the Acclaim (note that I don't mean a Haynes manual).

Thanks!

jdmhatch91

May, 11, 2007 AT 12:44 AM

Do you have a manual shifter postioner indicator or an electronic 1?

Alch

May, 11, 2007 AT 1:52 AM

I attached a photo of a gauge cluster that I found online.

The gear selector is located on the steering column and you can see that the gear indicator is a little mechanically operated arrow.

The school year has finally come to a close so I may get a chance to try and take out the cluster and see if i can and fix it, but I was hoping i could find some input before diving into it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/72886_acclaim_gauge_cluster_photo_1.jpg

jdmhatch91

May, 13, 2007 AT 7:32 PM

Ok, once you get the lilpanel off the dash, and unscrew the screws, you have to start the car and put gearin 2(all the way down) then turn off the car with key in and probrobly put e-brake on(left of regular brake). Once all that is done, slowly pry off donr pullvery hard at all, there should be the gear shift indicator cable connected to the back of the indicator thing, then two multi wired electrical tubular like wires(for the guage cluster output). If the gear shifter cable isnot connected to the indicator, that is probrobly the problem, if not, the cable is the problem. Check it out thentell me, I recently changed my cluster to a dodge spirt one. Same type of car.
So please give me some feedback
p.S. The indicator is a floater.
Jdmhatch91@sbcglobal. Net

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement