OIL COOLER

2001 Oldsmobile

Tom Hayes

May, 17, 2008 AT 7:20 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Other Oldsmobile Models 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

This van has an oil cooler. My wife went to a new oil change place. I noticed a new large drip the next morning. Concerned, I went got the car and found anitfreeze driping from around the oil filter. I then checked the overflow tank and found cake mix, tan oil and water. I went to auto parts store they were no help at all.
Question: How does this cooler circulate, and could the wrong filter or gasket cause this. Or, just what has failed

mastertechtim

May, 17, 2008 AT 7:24 PM

You are going to find that its not at all the oil cooler but in fact the intake manifold gasket on the engine has failed causing oil and coolant to mix. Very very common. Im on the second set of gaskets on my silhouette. The gaskets were made poorly. They have since fixed the problem with the gaskets. Every single one of these engines gets this done at some point. If you look under the throttle body you will see the coolant puddling there and running down the transmission. Hope this helps

Tom Hayes

May, 17, 2008 AT 7:44 PM

Thanks so much. Question: What is moving thourgh the cooler, water or oil. The lines connect to the water pump. I assume its water since there is a line attached to the suction of the water pump. The top of the motor is clean and the anitfreeze is clearing leaking on the front of the motor only, frond around the oil filter itself. The motor runs storong with no falut conditions, and this seems minor.

mastertechtim

May, 17, 2008 AT 8:08 PM

Its coolant moving through cooler but I haqve never seen one leak. Ithere is a chance that yours is but not common. Look real close at top of engine in front and back. The intake leaks at the corners

Tom Hayes

May, 17, 2008 AT 8:25 PM

Thanks so much. Question: What is moving thourgh the cooler, water or oil. The lines connect to the water pump. I assume its water since there is a line attached to the suction of the water pump. The top of the motor is clean and the anitfreeze is clearing leaking on the front of the motor only, frond around the oil filter itself. The motor runs storong with no falut conditions, and this seems minor.[/Quote: 10b12df066]
Thanks again. Flex-A-Lite ADAPTOR 18MM X 1.5 I found this brand at jegs. Looking at the photo if dexa cool could have attacked the metal, or one of the two o-rings failed. I think I will disconnect the coolant lines and see if oil appears from the coolant connections. Seems like an easy check before opening up a strong motor that had no other issues. Mainly because this happened after an oil change, guilty by association. The funny thing is my wife was doing me a favor getting the oil changed, she was so proud. Not for long! I would love to pin this on the oil change place, they are dip-s___s. Can anyone cross reference oil filter TV1-111 (texaco/havoline); is this filter correct?

mastertechtim

May, 17, 2008 AT 8:31 PM

Yes thats the correct filter, it crosses to a pf 47 ac delco.

Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado