1990 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Rattling under hood

• 1 POST

Noises problem
1990 Oldsmobile Delta 88 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

There is a loud, rattling noise coming from near/under the engine. The noise is not as loud when I first start the car. When I put it in gear (either reverse or drive) it becomes very loud. When I put on the gas, it goes away. When I turn the wheel ALL the way to one side (like about to do a sharp turn) it goes away completely. After the rattling begins, even if I put it back in park it does not go away. The only time it goes away is when I put the gas on (in any gear, even in park or neutral) or when I turn the wheel ALL the way to one side. I am not sure if this is related, but I just replaced the alternator and the timing belt < 1yr ago. New spark plugs/wires, heater core and radiator. If I could pinpoint a time when it began, I had 3 heavy people in the car when it first snowed. I believe it started a few days after that. What could be causing the rattling? Thank you!

Saturday, January 23rd, 2010 AT 9:56 AM

Begin by starting engine, open hood and look at assy. Drive belts and pulleys. Look for any pulley wobbling or any discolored pulleys which would indicate bearing heat.

But from your description, it sounds like a pulley bearing.

If you see nothing, on a COLD engine, remove belts and start engine for 20 seconds. If noise goes away, then pulley, alt, waterpump, PS pump or possibly belt(s) are bad.

Saturday, January 23rd, 2010 AT 10:08 AM