HEAD GASKETS

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

montrellclark

December, 17, 2009 AT 12:53 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

How do I know when I have blown a head gasket? I also need to know is there a way I can fix the head gaskets without changing them before they blow?

bluelightnin6

December, 17, 2009 AT 7:46 PM

A cracked head gasket will allow the engine oil to mix with your coolant. Check the coolant and engine oil to ensure neither are milky looking. If you don't have a cracked gasket then there isn't anything you can do to because nothing needs to be done..

montrellclark

December, 18, 2009 AT 11:46 AM

If the coolant and oil has mixed and is of a milky substance what is the best thing to do to fix this problem? What is the typical price range to have something like this fixed for a 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass?

bluelightnin6

December, 18, 2009 AT 7:52 PM

Replacement of the head gaskets is necessary if this is the case. Also an inspection of the cylinder head is needed too because it may also be cracked. Average shop price is 70$ an hour labor. This job would take around 10 - 12 labor hours = approx. 700 - 840 dollars not including parts.

Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500