CIERA

1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass

mswamprat

March, 30, 2009 AT 5:37 PM

1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 133000 miles

hey my car seems like either its starving for gas, or its missing. When im driving or idling it sputters and shakes. It will run fine for about 10 minutes or so then itl do it again. When I give it gas it almost sounds like its gonna shut off on me. Oh and the check engine light comes on and off. I heard lots of suggestions like its the fuel pump/filter, or the coil packs. I dont have the money to just replace all those parts without knowing what exactly is causing this

obxautomedic

March, 30, 2009 AT 5:50 PM

First go by your local auto parts store and have them check codes, write them down and post them here.

Also when was your last tune up?

.

mswamprat

March, 30, 2009 AT 5:55 PM

Well theres a problem with that all the local stores autozone o reillys etc only test cars 96 and above. Im never had a tune up. I changed the fuel filter and sparkplugs about 2 years ago.

obxautomedic

March, 30, 2009 AT 9:10 PM

Well, I would start by replacing the plugs and fuel filter.

.

mswamprat

April, 3, 2009 AT 11:21 AM

I got some new plugs and wireset. Im gonna change them today. Its getting worse, now its dying about when I stop at a stopsign or redlight. It starts back up but I have to give it gas right away or it dies again. I cant find any auto mechanics in my town to test the computer

obxautomedic

April, 3, 2009 AT 12:49 PM

Try pulling codes yourself here's how....

To extract a trouble from the computer for diagnostic purposes, the Assembly Line Communication Link (ALDL) connector is used.

Ground terminals A and B with the ignition "ON" and engine not running. The system will enter the diagnostic mode. In this mode, the computer will display a 12, three consecutive times, by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE", "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP" or light. A 12 consists of one flash, a short pause, then two flashes in rapid succession.

After 12 is displayed, any stored trouble s will be displayed by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE", "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP" light. All s are displayed 3 times each then a 12 will repeat. In the diagnostic mode, the computer will also energize all computer controlled relays and solenoids.

ALDL Connector (Located Underdash)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_95bonnevillealdl_connector_3.gif

The ALDL diagnostic connector is located in the passenger compartment.

.

mswamprat

April, 3, 2009 AT 5:30 PM

Ok I just got back from having the diagnostics done. It said mass air flow sensor. But they noticed a short hose that comes from the pressure regulator to something else. Hose is split end to end. I guess il try the hose first.

obxautomedic

April, 3, 2009 AT 8:21 PM

While getting the hose get a can of mass air flow sensor clean and try cleaning the MAF before replacing. If the hose doesn't fix the problem.

.