CAR SHAKING, STALLING

2000 Oldsmobile Alero

redheadsweetie7

February, 10, 2009 AT 8:56 AM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2000 Oldsmobile Alero Automatic

I have a oldsmobile alero and it just started doing funny things it spits some black stuff out of the exsaust. And everytime you gun the engine it wants to stall or will stall. Also the car shakes not sure from where but it feels like its shaking. My bf says the car isnt getting the fuel for some reason and when you gun it the engine sounds dirty and thats when it momentarily stops running the lights flick off. Also the car says service engine soon and trac off not sure what that means. Any help would be appreciated its on its way to the shop now.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 19, 2009 AT 4:47 PM

Hi: If the check engine light is on, there will be a trouble code stored in the computer. Have it scanned. Many parts stores will do it for free. Let me know what you find.

robertferello

September, 1, 2012 AT 8:34 PM

My daughters Alero (4cyl 2.4, 178,000 miles) also had the same problem. Would stall coming to a stop or when coasting. Rough idle and stumble or stall, sometimes both if you put the slightest pressure on the accelerator when stopped in gear. No check engine light.I eliminated the obvious. Had fairly new spark plugs. Replaced the spark plug boots/connectors and fuel filter (original filter!). But still had same problem. Then I saw it! When the engine was at idle the vacuum was sucking the hose to the map sensor closed! Replaced with $2.00 peice of vacuum hose. Problem gone. Still has inherent shaky idle but runs good. Im happy. And solved the problem myself. Sometimes the vacuum hose looks fine at the sensor but is split where it connects to the vacuum port on the other side.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy