NOISE, RATTLING THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS COMING FROM ENGINE

2004 Nissan Maxima

douda

May, 17, 2014 AT 7:15 PM

After I get my oil changed, about 2000 miles or 2 months later my car starts making a rattling noise that sounds like it is coming from the engine. As soon as I go in to get my oil changed it stops and the car sounds great for another 2 months.

caradiodoc

May, 17, 2014 AT 9:00 PM

That isn't much to go on but it would appear you're running the engine out of oil. Do you check the level at least once a week? It's normal for all engines to use a little oil between oil changes, but if it gets too low you risk destroying the engine. They can survive being one quart low, and you might get away with two quarts low for a little while, but that will accelerate wear inside the engine.

If you don't know how to check the oil level, have the mechanic show you how at your next oil change. It must be done with the engine not running. You'd rather add a quart of oil if necessary than pay to have the engine replaced or rebuilt.

Also mention the excessive oil usage at your next oil change. They'll look for signs of a leak.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte
Engine Oil Change and Filter