1997 Nissan Truck Do I need a new EGR valve?

MUSICMAKER
  • 1997 NISSAN TRUCK
Hi, I recently went in and had a diagnostic done as my "check engine" light was on and was told that I needed to replace my EGR valve (the fellow said it was the UFO looking thing), however, when I was researching whether I needed to replace it or just clean it and if I could do it myself, a fellow said that it may be the BPT that needed replacing instead. I don't have the cash to fix both problems so what should I do? Also, could it possibly be just the gasket that needs replacing. Big difference in cost

I believe that the code was 0400 or 0401, something like EGR valve malfunctioning

If I do need to replace the EGR valve is that something I could do myself?
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 7:06 PM

JACK42
The BPT is avacuum/backpressure valve that controls the EGR valve. Start the truck, onnect a vacuum pump(or clean hose and suck on the end to create enough vacuum to apply vavle) to the EGR valve port on the valve, when pulled on (vacuum applied) to the EGR the engine should stumble hard if not almost die. If this happens the valve is probably good and the passages are clear, then the BPT is most likely the problem.
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 8:46 AM