PICKUP WILL NOT IDLE

1996 Nissan Truck

kaptindan

November, 15, 2007 AT 4:41 PM

I have a 1996 Nissan pickup with a KA24DE that will not idle. It starts fine but after 5 minutes or so will start to sputter them eventually die. Bad gas smell goes along with it as well. I am at a loss as to what it is. I was sure it was the MAF sensor but it was not. Lucky me! Lol

November, 15, 2007 AT 7:24 PM

Find the IACV/AAC valve and EGR clean it out and test the TPS.

kaptindan

November, 16, 2007 AT 7:57 AM

I've removed the EGR valve and cleaned it out, it was closing properly. I removed the TPS and measured it against a new one at the parts store and it seemed to be fine. Not sure how to check the AAC vavle.

kaptindan

November, 16, 2007 AT 9:03 AM

To include all the symptons, the check engine light was coming on prior to it not running with a cylinder 3 misfire. Bad gas smell associated with idling, and when it stalls it will sometimes diesel like its running lean.

November, 16, 2007 AT 12:05 PM

Did you fix the misfire on 3? Check the fuel pressure with a gauge.

kaptindan

November, 18, 2007 AT 6:17 PM

Working on making an adaptor to check the fuel pressure.I plan on replacing no.3 fuel injector anyway.

kaptindan

November, 20, 2007 AT 12:29 PM

So the fuel pressure for the system was 32psi and stayed consistant. So I am at a total loss as to what this problem is. The misfire I beleive is gone as well, it won't stay running long enough to write codes.

kaptindan

November, 20, 2007 AT 12:36 PM

I connected a scanner to the ODBII port as well and noticed the O2 Sensor reading fluctuating between.04 to.880.O2 sensor was replaced.

kaptindan

November, 20, 2007 AT 3:38 PM

I want to add that theres no throttle response at all. When you give it gas it acts like its not getting fuel.

November, 20, 2007 AT 5:05 PM

Inspect/adjust the throttle position sensor's closed and WOT voltages. The TPS is like the accelerator pump on a carb system. If the computer don't see the correct position of the throttle is will not give fuel for acceleration.

kaptindan

November, 20, 2007 AT 5:47 PM

I was sure it was the TPS and put a new one on and it still does the same thing.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars