ENGINE LIGHT ON

2005 Nissan Sentra

lindsasj

August, 31, 2010 AT 6:49 AM

2005 Nissan Sentra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 79.000 miles

My car shakes very hard when I try to start it and my engine light is on. I just had my oil changed about 2 weeks ago.

Wrenchtech

August, 31, 2010 AT 7:03 AM

The " check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the " malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.