Hi migman77, Welcome the 2carpros and TY for the donation
Camshaft Position Sensor (2.5L) At rear of cylinder head.
P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit MalfunctionP0340 Description
The Camshaft Position Sensor is an electronic device used in an engine to record the rate at which the camshaft is spinning. This information is used by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Electronic Control Module(ECM) to control ignition and fuel injection. The camshaft position sensor senses the retraction of camshaft (intake) to identify a particular cylinder. The camshaft position sensor senses the piston position. The sensor system consists of a rotating part, typically a disc, as well as a static part, the actual sensor.
When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change.
When the crankshaft position sensor (POS) system becomes inoperative, the camshaft position sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.Symptoms- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Lack/Loss of Power
- Engine StallWhen is the code detected?- The camshaft position sensor signal is not detected by the ECM during the first few seconds of engine cranking
- The proper pulse signal from the camshaft position sensor is not Possible Causes- Harness or connectors (The sensor circuit is open or shorted)
- Camshaft position sensor may be faulty
- Camshaft (Intake) may be damage
- Starter motor may be faulty
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) batteryPossible Solution- Charge battery
- Repair harness or connector
- Replaced Camshaft Position Sensor.
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 10:22 PM