JERKS BETWEEN GEARS

1989 Nissan Sentra

tyvmbthrkl

July, 29, 2006 AT 11:47 AM

This usually occurs between first and second gear, but sometimes at higher speeds as well up to 35-40 mph or so. I've changed the fuel filter, but didn't resolve the problem. Been reading up on other possible problems such as the choke linkage, fuel pump, faulty ignition coil, ignition module, pick-up coil, and O2 sensor. Please help. Thank you.

Mikeybdman

July, 29, 2006 AT 5:25 PM

Give us a details explaination for jerks. Does it do it when you press in the clutch, or when you let off of the throttle? Is it like the gears slip, or is it like the car hesitates? Need input

tyvmbthrkl

August, 1, 2006 AT 12:31 AM

Thank you for the response. The car jerks now at varius speeds. It seems to occcur more at extreme heat. Depressing clutch usually stops the jerking momentarily. I really can't tell if it's coming from clutch slipage. Typically it starts out fine, but as I accellerate, it jerks until I depress the clutch to change gears. I usually let off the accelerator when it happens so i'm not certain if the car hesitates. But depressing the clutch stops the jerking would imply it's possibly clutch slipage. Please inform. Thank you.

Mikeybdman

August, 1, 2006 AT 4:24 PM

Clutch slipage=transmission problem
Basically the clutch just aids in gettting the car into gears. When it is released, if something slips, it is the transmission. You can drive a car without a clutch, so I dont think the clutch is the problem. If you press the clutch and rev the engine, no jerking. But as soon as you place the car ingear (attech the engine to the transmission) it starts to jerk.
I would suggest taking the car to a transmission shop and find out if it is something that can be fixed easily, or if it is going to be major work.

tyvmbthrkl

August, 1, 2006 AT 7:40 PM

Thank you for your help. I will have to bring it to a mechanic for further inspections. I was hoping it would be something apparent, but seems like it's going to take some work.

skipatroler

September, 13, 2006 AT 8:13 PM

Did you ever find out what was the cause? I have a truck that is doing something similar.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250