IGNITION COIL

• R8dergrl1
  • NISSAN ALTIMA

Does anyone know how which type of coil my car has there are two types #1 HAP OR #2 HANSHIN any info would be greatly appreciated. MY car is a 93 altimaSE 2.4 4cyl w/200,000 miles

Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 6:45 PM

• Rasmataz

What's wrong with the old one-No spark!

Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 7:07 PM
  • R8dergrl1

Car just stopped running and won't start again, have already replaced fuel pump and distributer, tested ignition module so we figure its all thats left

Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 7:11 PM
  • Rasmataz

Why don't you bench test the coil's primary and secondary resistances before you condemn it-Hows the timing belt is it still there? Do you have power to the coil.

Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 7:56 PM
  • R8dergrl1

Timing belt seems fine cuz the car will run for a few minutes then shut off, not sure how to use the ohm meter to check coil I don't have the digital kind just the old type meter, did the spark plug test and the spark is yellow not blue.

Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 9:05 PM
  • Rasmataz

Yellow is a sign of a weak coil

Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 1:45 AM
  • R8dergrl1

I tested the coil with a digital ohm meter and got all 0's then I tested the coil and the distributer also all 0's should have been 1ohm for the coil and at least 10 kilohms for the coil/dist reading any other ideas?

Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 7:09 PM
  • Rasmataz

The secondary windings is kind of low -try coil substitution-further check the crank angle sensor this is the one that tells the computer to fire the coil to get the secondary kilovolts to the plugs.

If you feel that the ignition system is working accordingly. Try checking the timing belt, fuse for the ignition and main relay.

Check all the connections on the coil and distributor and the computer box and its ground.

Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 8:38 PM