IGNITION COIL

Nissan Altima

r8dergrl1

April, 25, 2007 AT 6:45 PM

Does anyone know how which type of coil my car has there are two types #1 HAP OR #2 HANSHIN any info would be greatly appreciated. MY car is a 93 altimaSE 2.4 4cyl w/200,000 miles

April, 25, 2007 AT 7:07 PM

What's wrong with the old one-No spark!

r8dergrl1

April, 25, 2007 AT 7:11 PM

Car just stopped running and won't start again, have already replaced fuel pump and distributer, tested ignition module so we figure its all thats left

April, 25, 2007 AT 7:56 PM

Why don't you bench test the coil's primary and secondary resistances before you condemn it-Hows the timing belt is it still there? Do you have power to the coil.

r8dergrl1

April, 25, 2007 AT 9:05 PM

Timing belt seems fine cuz the car will run for a few minutes then shut off, not sure how to use the ohm meter to check coil I don't have the digital kind just the old type meter, did the spark plug test and the spark is yellow not blue.

April, 26, 2007 AT 1:45 AM

Yellow is a sign of a weak coil

r8dergrl1

April, 26, 2007 AT 7:09 PM

I tested the coil with a digital ohm meter and got all 0's then I tested the coil and the distributer also all 0's should have been 1ohm for the coil and at least 10 kilohms for the coil/dist reading any other ideas?

April, 26, 2007 AT 8:38 PM

The secondary windings is kind of low -try coil substitution-further check the crank angle sensor this is the one that tells the computer to fire the coil to get the secondary kilovolts to the plugs.

If you feel that the ignition system is working accordingly. Try checking the timing belt, fuse for the ignition and main relay.

Check all the connections on the coil and distributor and the computer box and its ground.

Ignition Coil Replacement Ford Taurus
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Ignition System Test Guide