96 RUNS GREAT - FOR 4 MILES, THEN STOPS TO REST -

1996 Nissan Altima

hart77

August, 20, 2006 AT 4:08 PM

1996 Nissan Altima 4cyl will start and run great for about 4 miles, then just stops and acts like it is out of gas. Engine turns over, but will not catch. After cooling off (overnight) it starts right up, runs great, for about 4 more miles and repeats. Happened about 6 times very consistently.

I've replaced the battery, the metal fuel fillter on top next to firewall, cleaned fuel injectors and it has a full tank of premium.

Car has 150K, but had a quality engine rebuild about 20k - last year.

Looking for suggestions.... HELP!

Thanks!

Mikeybdman

August, 20, 2006 AT 4:16 PM

This could be a lot of different things. It sounds as if something is warming up, and then killing the engine. In most cases, that would lead me to believe it is something that is solid state, and effected by heat. I am affraid that doesnt eliminate too many items since most things are going to solid state.
I would have the fuel pressure checked when it wont start. However, I doubt it is a fuel issue. It is most likely an ignition part, or one of the sensors that drives the ignition system.
I am affraid to find the problem you will need to have a mechanic track it down when it is faulting.

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang
Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Fuel Pump Pressure Test