1998 NISSAN ALTIMA REPLACING RH HALF AXLE

• RTyndallnc
  • 1998 Nissan Altima

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1998 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 209000 miles

I am replacing the RH half axle. The replacement part is the entire half axle not just from the slip yoke. The Haynes manuel gives few details about this. According to their book, the passenger side half axle has to removed by using a screwdriver from the drivers side. It has a picture showing a screwdriver inserted from the drivers side and tapping with a hammer. Does this mean I have to remove the drivers side axle also? The Haynes book does not say to do this but I can see no other way to do what they are talking about.

Friday, April 18th, 2008 AT 9:02 AM

• Jack42

Yes, sometimes there isnt a place to pry on the axle to pop it out of the trans, so you have to do it from the other side.

Friday, April 18th, 2008 AT 12:19 PM
  • RTyndallnc

I found the answer to my question myself. All that one must do once removing the half axle from the hub is remove the 3 bolts from the bracket that attaches about midway at the slip yoke. Once this is done the entire axle will slide out with not problem.

So much for professional answers and my $10.00

Friday, April 18th, 2008 AT 2:36 PM
  • legitimate007

That comment wasn't cool at all.

Saturday, April 26th, 2008 AT 1:13 PM
  • Service Writer

[quote= The Haynes book does not say to do this but I can see no other way to do what they are talking about.[/Quote]

I can't believe that that book cost $10.00!
I'd ask for my money back.

Saturday, April 26th, 2008 AT 2:00 PM
  • 2CarPros Ken

We are going to have people that are just grumpy, and our competitors will give us a jab from time to time, don't worry about, just keep going the great job we do!

: -)

Sunday, April 27th, 2008 AT 1:38 PM