1993 Nissan Altima Alternator problems

SABUCKNE
  • 1993 NISSAN ALTIMA
1993 Nissan Altima Automatic 145000 miles

i just got my alternator rebuilt and put in yesterday, but last night my brake light and battery light both came on and stayed on for about an hour then after a little while everything in my car got dimmer and eventually shut off. But I can restart it after about 5 minutes and it will run for at least a minute or so before it goes off again. What could be the problem? Still the alternator or something connecting to it?
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009 AT 12:27 AM

ISLAND_PRIDE71
You need to get the alternator load tested to find out if its producing the correct output let me know as soon as possible

Use a voltmeter

Do an open voltage test on the battery without a load it should be 12.4 volts or better.

Now start vehicle apply load on it by turning on the heater to high and headlight on-it should read between 13.5 -15.5 volts if the alternator is good Less than this points to a defective alternator.
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009 AT 2:18 AM

Sponsored links