RUNNING ENGINE WITH NO OIL

2007 Nissan 350Z

penelsen

2007 Nissan 350Z 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 14000 miles

My future son-in-law took his 2007 Nissan 350Z to the dealer for an oil change. When he got home (after driving about 50 miles) it was making a strange noise. He checked the oil and there was none on the dipstick. I had him start it in the driveway and the oil pressure came up to normal, then right away went to zero. He had it towed to the dealer and watched as they drained about one quart out of the crankcase. The dealer checked the oil for metal shavings and said there were none. They filled it with oil, test drove it and said the engine was OK. They said the noise was the " timing chain sensor losing pressure". I think this must have caused some engine damage. I don't understand how the engine didn't seize (unless the oil pump was able to intermittantly suck up some residual oil). What do you think? He needs to decide whether to accept what the dealer says, or play hardball and demand a new engine. Thanks.

Ernest Clark

February, 23, 2010 AT 5:22 PM

Driving fifty miles with one quart of oil most certainly did some damage. But probably none that will show up for quite some time. (Instead of getting 10-years out of this car, you may get 5-7) He could definitely play hardball, but will it be worth it?

The only way to tell with certainty is to tear the engine down and take a look. You could do a compression check, but that could check out fine, but your lifters and cams could fail in a few months. Who knows?

And that dealer isn't going to tear down the motor out of the kindness of their heart. And if you do play hardball, how long will this take? And how long will you be without you vehicle while they replace the engine? But if I were you, I'd never take my car to that dealer again!

Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra