STRESS FRACTURES

Mitsubishi

megz

December, 11, 2006 AT 3:46 AM

Hey everyone,
just found this forum whilst surfing the net and thought id ask a quick question. I own a mitsubishi lancer gli vrx 2003 model which has been done up. Ie turbo charged, lowered, evo 7 fibreglass body kit etc. Unfortunately I was involved in a bit of a cscrape the other day and I now have a series of rather nasty stress fractures on my front spoiler which is painted black and is made of fibreglass. I was just wondering, what exactly is a stress fracture (ie what exactly have I done to my car and how seroius is it) and also whether it can be repaired (and stay fixed) or whether ill have to get a whole new spoiler to get it back to its original condition. Thanks everyone.
megan

Bruce Hunt

December, 11, 2006 AT 8:31 AM

I would guess that is depends on the depth of the stress fractures. Is the spoiler metal based with fiberglass exterior or all fiberglass? Reason I ask is that if it has a metal core and it is cracked you would probably need to either fix the crack with a weld or a braze.

My uncle has dealt with fiberglass repairs his entire life and I have picked up on a number of things from him. The fiberglass is very repairable but you and looking at doing more than filling a number of crack in. You would need to grind out a big area around the cracking, reinforce with a screening and then repair with a fiberglass filler. Highly doable project, rather inexpensive but the result would need to be painted.

megz

December, 12, 2006 AT 12:23 AM

Ahh ok thanks : ) the spoiler is just fibreglass, no metal im pretty sure. Would I need to go to a special firbeglass worker or would a regular panel beater do?

Wiper Blade Replacement Acura MDX
Wiper Blade Replacement Scion XD
Windshield Wiper Replacement Ford Escape
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Prius
Windshield Wiper Replacement Toyota Corolla
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Mercedes
Windshield Wiper Replacement Mercedes Benz ML