MITSUBIS MISFIRE

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage

DanDecoupe

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

Hi, I have a mirage with the engine service light on. My engine starts to fail when I take off. It looses power and sounds as if it is drowning. It does it pretty much in the first or second gear. The problem detected is a misfire. I have cleaned the throttle bore and have used fuel and system additives to help. The frequency of the misfire has decreased and the service light comes back on and off after a while. What should I do before I take it to a mechanic

Engine Miss

If its misfiring and CEL on-scan the computer for codes-you have a problem within the engine management system, this is your starting point of diagnosis

Misfiring can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.