Ignition coil

GETECLIPSED
  • 2002 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE

Engine Mechanical problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 145000 miles

My car has been burning up ignition coils and I cannot seem to find out why! The same coil keeps burning up over the #2 cylinder, the ignition coil over the #4 cylinder remains good and never goes bad. What would make the ignition coil over the #2 cylinder to continue to keep going bad!

I replaced it with a brand new ignition coil every time. And usually its goes down to running on 3 cyl but sometimes it runs on 2 cyl, I guess it depends on how hot or swollen the coil gets? I install a new ignition coil and it gets hot rather quickly and swells up too causing it to burn up. And yes I have replaced spark plugs and wires several times but nothing changed, just keeps burning up coils! Any ideas!

Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 2:24 AM

KEN

What happens is the coil driver for the #2 ignition coil is stuck on causing the coil to not work get hot and burn out. You must replace the ECM with a new or used unit to fix the problem.

Here is the ECM location you will need to have a shop program it for you.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, December 18th, 2017 AT 3:10 PM