1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Battery Light Still On

DENARAN
  • 1998 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Ok. So I have a 98 Mitsu Eclipse RS with a 2.0 420a in it. I've swapped out the alternator and made sure I correctly repaired the 2 prong wiring harness that connects it to the ECU. My battery light still comes on after about 15 seconds after the car is on. What in the world could be wron here? It is a remanufactured alternator that was bought and tested from autozone before installation. Could this light be coming on because my battery was at around 11.5 volts and than what should go in the car? Please I desperatly need some help here. Especially before I say screw it and take it to the dealership and pay out the rear to have this fixed.
Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 9:54 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi Denaran,

Thank you for the donation.

I would suggest checking the crankshaft pulley. It has a harmonic damper and the outer rings tends to slip when the damper becomes detached.

When engine is running, look at pulley from top. If it is turning in a wavy pattern, the pulley is bad. Quite often you would get some squealing noise if the pulley is bad. Sounds as if the belts are loose.
Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 11:39 AM
DENARAN
I have one more idea. One would be to trace the 2 wires that connect the alternator to the ecu and see if they have a break in them. And 2 I've got the alternator belt pretty tight as is. The crankshaft pully looks perfectly fine. No weeble wobble of any sorts. After all is said and done I fear that my only next steps would be to order a new ecu and if that doesn't work take the damn thing to the dealership. Just don't understand it. I have just about replaced the entire charging system, wires and all, outside of the ecu and the 2 wires connecting it. You don't supppose there's a fuse I'm not seeing outside of the one under the hood?
Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 AT 5:11 PM
KHLOW2008
Let us get back to the basics.

With engine running and when charge indicator light comes on, check voltage between alternator terminal "B" and ground.

If charging voltage is be less than 13.5 volts, the alternator is bad.

Some alternators would work correctly during bench test but on vehicle would fail after heating up.
-1
Thursday, March 26th, 2009 AT 7:33 AM