OBD II CODE P1443

• earthgirl1975
  • Mercury Tracer

I have 1997 Mercury Tracer LS with 123000 miles on it. The check engine light is on and getting code P1443. According to Advance Auto and Autozone it is " Evaporative emission control system control valve", what ever that means. The guy at Advance suggested changing the wiring harass, does this sound right? What do I need to do to get this problem fixed?

Sunday, March 11th, 2007 AT 11:48 AM

• merlin2021

P1443 Evaporative emission control system, vacuum system, purge Control Solenoid or purge control valve fault. I am notot sure where it is on your car, but the equipment to test it is about $1,300.00 U.S! They check these with a smoke pump to test for leaks in the system. Most of these valves are on the firewall and have a vacuum hose attached. They also have what looks like a tire valve with a green cap. Will be cheaper to replace it than to test it! I think they are about $100.00 if you can find one.

Sunday, March 11th, 2007 AT 8:09 PM
  • CHEVYII

You are close, it is the evaporative control system purge valve malfunction, it means the purge valve is bad, you do not need a harness. That is funny, that is all you need. It is on the drivers side of the engine compartment. I would send you a diagram but you would not be able to see it.

Jim

Sunday, March 11th, 2007 AT 8:16 PM
  • Service Writer

Did this come on since you last filled your fuel tank?

Sunday, March 11th, 2007 AT 8:43 PM
  • earthgirl1975

No this code has been on for a while. Thanks for the information guys. I will try that and see if it works for me.

Sunday, March 11th, 2007 AT 8:58 PM
  • earthgirl1975

I called a Ford Dealership this morning and gave them the code. They said there was definitely a leak somewhere in the emissions system. They said a smoke test on emissons needed to be performed. And that it was probably the canister purge valve or the hose leading to the intake leaking. I am having a place do the smoke test for $30.00 tomorrow. Then I will replace the part or parts that leak. Thanks so much for the help again, much appreciated.

Monday, March 12th, 2007 AT 9:25 AM
  • merlin2021

Great price on that test!

Tuesday, March 13th, 2007 AT 4:13 PM
  • CHEVYII

No doubt that is super inexpensive, we get 1.5 hrs for it $140.00. But that does include lemon or orange flavor.

Tuesday, March 13th, 2007 AT 4:21 PM
  • earthgirl1975

I have not had the smoke test performed yet. My husband replaced the hose going into intake today and another place leak was occurring. Waiting to see if service engine soon light comes back on. I had two major leaks where the clamp was not holding near as good as it needed to be.

Tuesday, March 20th, 2007 AT 2:01 PM
  • mitsh69

My service engine soon light came on after I filled up. What is the problem?

Friday, July 13th, 2007 AT 8:34 AM
  • CHEVYII

See if the cap is loose

Friday, July 13th, 2007 AT 10:38 AM