IGNITION PROBLEM

Mercury Tracer

eprosser

November, 23, 2007 AT 2:29 PM

I have an 1989 tracer 1.6 w/203000 miles. The problem is the car suddenly died (like someone turned off the key) after running fine. The same thing happened months before and was immediately fixed with a new coil. Not so this time. I did replace the coil (twice) to no avail as well as the distributor. There are 12 volts to the coil as well as two of the three wires plugged into the ignitor inside the distributor. I did find a broken wire but have no idea where it came from. It's the black wire behind and on top of the distibutor that you disconnect to set the timing. This wire also had 12 volts coming from it. The high voltage wire between the coil and the distributor seems fine. All the lights come on when you turn on the ignition BUT sometimes you have to turn the key back a touch to get the radio, clock, wipers, a/c to come back on. The timing belt is in intact.

Jack42

November, 24, 2007 AT 7:08 AM

Start by adjusting or replacing the ignition switch. The position must be correct or it could lose contact when you hit a bump in the road causing it to die

eprosser

November, 24, 2007 AT 4:11 PM

I gave up and dragged it to the dealer, but ill let ya know what they say if your interested. Thanks for your reply

Jack42

November, 25, 2007 AT 7:24 AM

Always interested.

Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes