BRAKE LIGHTS WON'T TURN OFF

Mercury Tracer

sharrelise

August, 22, 2006 AT 2:35 PM

The brake lights on my 1997 Mercury Tracer will not turn off. There is a blue plastic/rubber thingy and a white plastic thing on a part of the brake pedal. The blue one fell off, but I could not figure out what it did in the first part. It may have been to pad a connection between the brake pedal and the frame? Anyway, the brake lights - two regular ones and one upper one - will not turn off unless I remove the brake light fuse. Any suggestions?

Mikeybdman

August, 22, 2006 AT 4:06 PM

Sounds like your brake switch at your pedal is stuck on. Might be part of the blue white thing you described.

sharrelise

August, 22, 2006 AT 4:08 PM

Any suggestions on self repairs? I looked around a lot and don't see any wires unhooked or exposed. Thanks!

Mikeybdman

August, 22, 2006 AT 4:14 PM

I would look at the brake pedal. Somewhere there is a switch with a plgu and wires running to it. In some models, the switch is under the hood and just the plunger is sticking thru the firewall. The brake pedal pushes the plunger and sets the light.
Is you brake pedal sitting lower than normal? There should be a spring attached to the brake pedal that lifts the pedal off of the switch when not applied. Check that spring to see if it is not attached.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML