BACKUP AND LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS NOT WOR

1994 Mercury Tracer

rickhue

June, 10, 2009 AT 11:04 AM

1994 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

I am trying trouble shoot this issue and so far I have no 12 v or ground to either. The wires are on the same plugs in the trunk. Can someone tell me if the wires have another plug somewhere up the line and if so where? Chiltons diagram show license plate and park lights coming from the same source and park lights all work. The third tail light is not working either but I have not had a chance to even look at it.

Docfixit

June, 10, 2009 AT 11:19 AM

Hi
The plate backup and high mount brake lights all share the same ground. Check the black wires to ground with OHM meter. Follow wire back to right side trunk junction. Somewhere the ground is being lost.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate

rickhue

June, 10, 2009 AT 11:31 AM

I know I don't have a ground, but I don't have 12 V going to the ground on the rear parking light on any of them either?

rickhue

June, 11, 2009 AT 6:48 AM

I know I don't have a ground, but I don't have 12 V going to the ground on the rear parking light on any of them either?[/Quote: 13b2e22644]

No they don't all share a common ground in fact the ground to the backup light and the plate is shared, but it's only shared between the sides they are on (right side has one ground, left side has seperate ground) the high mount brake light is seperate. What is happening (I've seen other forums where this question is asked and did not see an answer of what was wrong) these wires are affixed to the arm that raises and lowers the trunk lid, over time of going up and down the wires break, in my case both grounds and the 12v to the plate light, the high mount brake was the bulb.

Wiper Blade Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
DRL Light Bulb Replacement
Trunk Shock Replacement Porsche Carrera 911
Door Lock Replacement Toyota 4Runner
Hood Shock Replacement - Rear Porsche
Headlight Lens/Housing Replacement Mini