92 Mercury Topaz with no battery power

Tiny
KDK241
  • MEMBER
  • 1992 MERCURY TOPAZ
I have a 92 Mercury Topaz and the other day it wouldn't start. When you turned the key you could hear the solenoid relay clicking and nothing would happen and when you tried to start it from the solenoid nothing happened either. This was right after shutting the car off for 1 minute at the gas station. It had done this before but then it would start up after adjusting the positive battery cable that was loose. That didn't work this time. I replaced the solenoid and now I have no battery power at all. Nothing comes on. Could I have hooked up a wire wrong? If so what is the right way to hook the cables back up? Could my battery be dead even though it was fine before hand (I unhooked it before changing the solenoid)? Is there anything else it could be or any way to test it to see what the problem is? This has been driving me and a couple other people crazy for 4 days now and any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Thursday, November 16th, 2006 AT 11:49 AM

2 Replies

Tiny
BEAR300T
  • MEMBER
Sounds to me like your battery is dead. If you have a charger charge it up or try to jump start. As long as you put the wires back on the solenoid exactly the way they came off then I would start with the battery. Could be that your alternator is bad also and the vehicle was running off the battery and when you shut it off there was not enough in battery to crank.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, November 16th, 2006 AT 12:59 PM
Tiny
KDK241
  • MEMBER
I tried jumping the battery after I got it towed home. I unhooked the battery cables and let it charge right off of the other battery while I double checked to make sure everything was hooked up right. As soon as I hooked up the battery cables the negative cable sparked but the car tried to start (I had the key in the on position) for a second and then died. It did that a couple of times after recharging the battery for a little while again. I figured that if the cable is sparking that it's not grounded properly but I never removed the ground or anything from the cable. My concern now is frying something else while trying to work on it. Is there something I missed?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, November 16th, 2006 AT 5:28 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links