GRAND - INTAKE MANIFOLD

1999 Mercury Marquis

RobS

July, 27, 2007 AT 3:06 PM

I have 1999 Grand Marquis with 4.6L V8 with 60,000 miles on it. The car recently started overheating, so we took it to the dealer after finding orange antifreeze on the driveway. The mechanic inspected the car at the source of the leak and showed that the intake manifold (which is plastic for reasons I am unable to fathom) has a crack in it. The dealer wants to charge me $1300 to fix it. Am I getting ripped off?

wadep

October, 25, 2007 AT 9:16 PM

This was a very common problem with this series of marquis. I believe it was made out of plastic if I remember right and the aftermarket one was of aluminum. It was poor design. I have a 1998 and replaced my intake manifold. I purchased an aftermarket one off ebay for $150 - $200. A friend of mine put it in for me took about 2-3 hours. So I would call around ask for quotes on how much to replace it for your year make model if YOU supply them with the part. I would say 3 hours labor @ 60 - 70 an hour is reasonable.

Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro
Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars