HOW TO REPLACE A TIMING BELT IN MERC

1985 Mercury Lynx

cbraden

May, 17, 2009 AT 6:12 PM

1985 Mercury Lynx Manual

My son is without transportation to and from work and someone is offering to give him a 1985 Mercury Lynx. The catch is that it has a broken timing belt. They have the belt to give us and my son has a great deal of mechanical ability but has never replaced a timing belt. Also, I have read that there is a possibility of engine damage in this car if the belt breaks, which is why they recommend that it be replaced at 60,000 miles. Is there any way of telling if the engine has been damaged before changing the belt? Can you give us some direction or instructions on changing it? Can you provide diagrams that will help? We don't have much but do have a desire to succeed and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

racefan966

May, 18, 2009 AT 10:09 AM

Ok what I would do is remove the drive belts and stuff and then remove the timing cover and set your timing marks right (refer to pics below). Then put the belt on and then start it (only for a few seconds). If it starts then shut it back off and finish putting it together. If it don't start then do a compression test on it and go from there. I would also check the local library to see if they have a repair manual that you can use so that with that and myself you can put this back to gether and have it runnig.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_85.jpg

Releasing the Tensioner

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic1_11.jpg

cbraden

May, 18, 2009 AT 11:57 AM

Thank you! We'll let you know if we hit any snags or how it goes.

racefan966

May, 19, 2009 AT 9:05 AM

Ok sounds great. If you have any questions please just ask.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet