2002 Mercury Cougar ignition switch

SCOTT_42
  • 2002 MERCURY COUGAR
I put a new ignition switch in, everything comes on inside the car but it will not start.
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 8:02 AM

JACK42
Does it turn over or not turn over? If not, check for power at the gray/white wire coming off the ignition switch. If nothing there, you may have a bad switch. Also check fuse #40 in the underhood power center to be sure it is good
-1
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 9:43 AM
SCOTT_42
No it does not turn over. Was told we have to take it to dealer to have the computer reset. Due to the ignition code and computer do not match. But were trying what u have suggested.
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 11:19 AM
JACK42
So you replaced the tumbler, not the actual electrical ignition switch? That would/could expalin the need to have it programmed for the anit-theft to recognize it.I misundersttod what had been replaced.
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 12:35 PM
SCOTT_42
My car wouldnt start one day, just out of now where it wouldnt turn over, so I was told it needed a new ignition switch. So I ordered one, took old one out and replaced it. If you jump start from syleniod it will turn over, but still will not start. Thats when I was told I had to takwe it to the dealer to have it reprogrammed. I really dont understand that, if the key fits it.
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 5:06 PM
JACK42
So you didnt replace the part where the key goes? Test the wire I mentioned previously to see if you are getting trigger out. Also check for 12 volts at the small wire on the starter solenoid. If you have 12 volts at the small wire when key is in the crank position, the starter is bad. Have you tried swapping the starter relay for another of no importance as far as running the car like the wiper or a/c relay
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 6:30 PM
SCOTT_42
Yes we replaced the part where the key goes, they said it was an ignition switch. But now I found out it is called a tumbler, so we have new keys and door keys. Like ive said when you turn the car on everything inside works, power windows, sunroof, radio. But it will not start. So I guess I will have to have it towed after all, to a dealer to reprogram the computer. Thank you.
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 11:16 PM
2CARPROS LINSEY
Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future.
Monday, April 5th, 2010 AT 3:24 PM
SMALEX123
I know this was 4 years ago but after you took it to dealership and had it programed did it work? I'm having exact problem with mine I changed the whole thing and now won't start.
+1
Monday, May 26th, 2014 AT 9:13 PM