OIL PRESSURE

1993 Mercedes Benz 500sl

mph242424

March, 4, 2009 AT 2:35 PM

1993 Mercedes Benz 500sl V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 92000 miles

My 93 500sl runs very strong. However when I come to a stop my oil pressure gauge jumps like crazy and it seems as if the car is going to stall. If I put it in neutral it seems more stable. Oil is changed every 3k with mobil 1? Help?

Jack42

March, 5, 2009 AT 7:43 AM

I have forwarded your link to our resident M/B expert. He should be with you shortly

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com

gfimotorcars

March, 5, 2009 AT 11:45 AM

Low or irradic oil pressure can be due to a number of things. Because of this occuring more at idle I would recommend considering the following possible problems.
1. Worn camshaft or main bearings will cause low and sometimes irradic oil pressure as pressure is lost due to excessive clearence of the bearings
2. Oil pick up tube may have become loose. If the pick up tube becomes loose you can see lost pressure or irradic readings
3. A faulty oil sending unit can definately cause irradic readings of oil pressure
4. Oil pressure relief valve may be sticking causing irradic readings due to pressure not bleeding off correctly.

Does your vehicle ever go high on oil pressure? If so how high of a reading are you getting and describe exactly the range the gauge is reading when this happens. Does it spike and come down? Does it stay at or below normal pressure but is just irradic?

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW