1974 MERCEDES BENZ 450SL HARD TOP

• Surapol kasayapanan
  • 1974 Mercedes Benz 450sl

Interior problem
1974 Mercedes Benz 450sl V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

please tell me how to remove the hard top.

Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 11:15 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

I have not done this for years or more, but I remember 3 latches, 2 front and one rear, if it has not been off of some time you may find it well and truly stuck on, you will need 2 people as it is a bit much for on to do.

Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 4:53 PM
  • ScottinSoCal

The hard top has 5 latches. Two at the front windshield, two just behind the seats, and the center rear pin.

There are two handles on the side, just behind the driver seat. The large handle relaxes the center pin, the small handle releases it. As you stare at the handle, the large handle moves counterclockwise to relax, the small handle moves clockwise to release.

If it won't release - sometimes the cables in there seize up - relax the center pin and come in from the passenger side (US models) of the car with a wire coat hanger, or bent MIG welding wire, or some other thin, stiff wire. The latch that holds the center pin is on the passenger side, and has to be pulled toward the passenger side to release. The alternative is to get hold of the center pin with a pair of (padded, please!) Vise grips and rotate it 90 degrees, so the latch can no longer hold it.

Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 2:11 PM