NO SECOND GEAR

1988 Mercedes Benz 190e

moorecat2009

June, 21, 2009 AT 11:40 PM

1988 Mercedes Benz 190e 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 166000 miles

I wrote a few weeks ago and asked about fluid levels in my Mercedes 190E 2.6 car. And now I am having problems with car shifting into 3rd gear. Well I get in car and leave and car shirts into 2nd gear and then will not shift into 3rd gear. I have been told it could be fluid levels but got that fixed. A mechanic said could it be a faulty Modulator not letting it shift or vacumn problems and I was trying to troubleshoot the modulator but do not know if you can. If I let it stay theer in drive andf after first shirt it would keep going till I removed foot off accelerator or out it into neurtal. Any suggestions

Clark

Jack42

July, 1, 2009 AT 7:47 AM

I have forwarded your question to our M/B tech. He will be with you shortly, thank you for your patience

gfimotorcars

July, 1, 2009 AT 3:34 PM

First have you noticed any fluid loss for the trans (pan leaking etc.) This particular transmission can also have issues with the valve body (esp. In older models with high miles). If the trans has not been maintained with regtular fluid changes and filter changes at the required service intervals what may happen is the valve channels can become plugged and will cause gears to be inaccesable. I recommned having a trans service to begin with (unless this has been performed already). Have them replaced the fluid and filter and then recheck the operation. This will often times remedy this problem and is your cheapest way out.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions