OIL IN THE RAD

Mazda Truck

DanCarlson

May, 27, 2007 AT 10:34 PM

I have a 1993 Mazda B2200, 2.2L, 4 cylinder fuel injected with about 80,000 miles.
Recently I noticed oil in my rad but no coolant in my oil, a few days later I started noticing coolant in my oil. I thought 'head gasket' so I replaced it and the intake manifold gasket. When I took the head off the pistons were dirty not washed out like they should have been. I am loosing a great deal more coolant than what is showing up in the oil. The engine doesn't blow white smoke and I am not loosing any motor oil, so that should rule out a cracked block. There is no visablle coolant loss.
I am at a loss for this problem and need some new ideas on where to look

May, 27, 2007 AT 10:46 PM

Try checking the transmission level and color of fluid. If no visual coolant leaking and also not filling the crankcase, then its being burn. Something is blown

DanCarlson

May, 28, 2007 AT 5:39 AM

The truck is a standard, no fluid exchange. Does the 2.2 L engine have an oil cooler, and where would it be located?

DanCarlson

June, 2, 2007 AT 5:29 AM

I found out what the problem was. There is a crack between the water and oil jackets. The tell tale sign was the oil in the rad first. Oil is under greater pressure than the coolant so it forced its way through the crack first. Once the crack was big enough water found its way through as well.
This is just FYI.
Dan

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement