1988 Mazda RX7 won't crank

STEVIE2
  • 1988 MAZDA RX7
1988 Mazda RX7 186000 miles

battery is charged.
car was used yesterday and ran fine.
now engine won't click or crank nothing when starter is engaged.
Monday, June 2nd, 2008 AT 12:47 PM

BLACKOP555
You say the starter is engagign?

Or did you mess up and mean to say starter isnt engaging and no noise or anything happens when key is turned to start.
Monday, June 2nd, 2008 AT 3:03 PM
STEVIE2
Battery charged
car ran fine yesterday
when I turn key to engage start there is no noise from the solinoid or the starter. Nothing happens.
Monday, June 2nd, 2008 AT 7:03 PM
BLACKOP555
If you apply direct 12v to the starter does she crank?

Try turning on the headlights and have someone crank the engine, do the lights dim or stay bright?

If they dim the switch is good and I would suspect a bad starter, bad wiring sometimes a bad relay.

If they stay bright I would suspect relay/solenoid issues or a issue with the ignition switch.
Tuesday, June 3rd, 2008 AT 8:03 AM
JEFF1545
Also before you buy a new starter and go through that, check to see if your cerpentine belt turns when you try to turn it over. Your car may need a new alternator.
Tuesday, June 3rd, 2008 AT 7:06 PM
BLACKOP555
His battery is charged, and I assume the terminalls are clean.

So I doubt its the alternator that is causing that problem.
Wednesday, June 4th, 2008 AT 8:11 AM
JEFF1545
My car died a few months ago. I pulled into a gas station shut it off and it wouldnt start. The battery read 12v 14 when hooked up with jumper cables to another car. I bought a new alternator and switched the old one out. It started right up. But as im saying this I also just realized that the cerpentine belt wont turn if the starter is shot. If the lights dim though, that is also a sign of a bad alternator. Im not at all saying your wrong, so please dont take it that way. Im just adding a suggestion.
Saturday, June 7th, 2008 AT 11:23 AM
BLACKOP555
The lights should dim when starting because the alternator isnt spinning fast enough to charge and thats alot of effort required to move that motor.

So I stated about the lights dimming because if the ignition switch was bad then there would be no dimming of the lights.
Trying to save him some money.

And I know you wernt tryign to say I was wrong, that you were just adding an oppinion :P
Saturday, June 7th, 2008 AT 12:40 PM