1998 Mazda Protege THERMOSTAT

DKRD
  • 1998 MAZDA PROTEGE
Engine Cooling problem
1998 Mazda Protege

Changed the radiator cap because it was running hot. Still have no heat. The gauge says it's hot but the hoses are cool to the touch and radiator not circulating. Was told the thermostat was the radiator cap?
Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 2:15 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
The radiator cap is NOT a thermostat.... To remove and replace thermostat if it is faulty perform the following operations.

REMOVAL:
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the radiator to below the level of the thermostat.
If necessary, remove the air cleaner assembly.
If necessary, disconnect the coolant temperature switch at the thermostat housing.
Remove the upper radiator hose.
Remove the mounting nuts, thermostat housing, thermostat and gasket.
Do not pry the housing off.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_0900c1528003989c_1.jpg

INSTALLATION:
Clean the thermostat housing and the cylinder head mating surfaces.
Insert the thermostat into the rear cylinder head housing with the jiggle pin at the top. The spring side of the thermostat should face the housing.
Position a new gasket onto the studs with the seal print side facing the rear cylinder housing.
Install the thermostat housing and 2 nuts. Tighten the nuts to 14-22 ft. lbs. (19-5 Nm).
Install the upper radiator hose.
If detached, connect the coolant temperature switch.
If removed, install the air cleaner housing.
Fill the cooling system. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks. Check the coolant level and add coolant, as necessary.

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!
Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 2:23 PM
DKRD
Would like to thank you so much for your reply! I asked a "mechanic" at the local auto parts store and he made me feel. Well lets say it plain and simple. STUPID! I get the run around alot because I'm a woman and working on a car like it's not possible for this to actually be happening! I've been working on cars since I was 13 with my step father and two step brothers but the cars have changed alot over the years and didn't keep- up with all the new stuff. I ask a question and I get a look of total shock usually. I'm so thankful for your help. I did know the thermostat was not in or the same as a radiator cap by the way but that's what was told so thank you for clearing that up for me.
+1
Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 3:11 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
It's no problem, that is what we are here for :) Doesn't matter if you're woman or man, a vehicle can be fixed by either one ;) If you need further assistance or have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
+1
Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 3:49 PM