2000 Mazda 626 Rear noises

BRAN76DFW
  • 2000 MAZDA 626

Noise problem
2000 Mazda 626 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 74000 miles

Noises sounding like metal objects are being thrown around in my trunk especially when driven over any uneven surface like potholes or speed bumps. Can anyone offer suggestions on this problem? Thanks!

Saturday, May 10th, 2008 AT 5:12 AM

DSPHD

I am having the same problem. I checked the jack in the right rear of trunk and made certain it was tight. I suspect that I either have a loose muffler or tailpipe or broken hanger. Another possiblity I am considering is a damaged/loose rear shock.

Let me know when you find your problem and I will do the same. Dave in Denver

Thursday, June 5th, 2008 AT 10:21 PM
DSPHD

Hey there, I may have found our problem. When crawling under the back of the car, I found the flexible plastic bumper cover was loose and when tapping it with my hand, it made the same noises I (we) have been hearing. There are two plastic srews under the bumper that seems to be there to hold the rear bumper cover to the main impact bumper. I couldn't get them to tighten up, so I put in some rubber bushings (pieces of sorta-soft rubber pad) in between the bumper cover screa plate and the bumper. Seems to have solved the problem. Hope it works for you.
Dave

Sunday, June 8th, 2008 AT 10:56 PM