ENGINE STUTTERS

1993 Mazda 323

sralls001

September, 21, 2009 AT 8:50 AM

1993 Mazda 323 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 106000 miles

My daughter's 323 has developed a stutter from cold.
It starts well enough - first time every time. It then idles between 800 and 1700 rpm. When pulling away it feels like it is not firing on all cylinders and is quite jerky and this continues whilst driving along, although if in a high gear and revving harder the problem feels less. If revved hard(ish) at a standstill there doesnt seem to be any problem. The problem seems to go away after it is fully warmed up.
Your thoughts gratefully appreciated.
steve

16763816

September, 28, 2009 AT 9:49 AM

That sounds like the same problem Im having now and was having before I got it fixed. The only difference being mine runs better when cold as there is less resistance apparently. The first time I had the problem the mechanic told me it was arcing in the distributor and I got it replaced and it worked fine for a while. Now its doing the same thing again.

sralls001

September, 28, 2009 AT 3:38 PM

Thanks for asking. I took it in to a friend's garage and he said he could hear one of the HT leads was faulty! So I changed them all for 20 and problem is cured completely!

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250