2001 LEXUS LS 430 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

• faithjoe
  • 2001 Lexus LS 430

2001 Lexus LS 430 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 82,000 miles

I had major work on this car mid January 2010 at Lexus dealer. Work done: replace platinum plugs; replace water pump and accessories and factory recommended fluid; replaced timing belt; had rear brake pads and rotors serviced. I also personally had the battery replaced by a battery store tech.

Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 8:04 PM

• caradiodoc

What's the question? Check Engine light? If so, that means the Engine Computer detected a problem and set a diagnostic fault code in memory. That code will lead the mechanic to the circuit or system with the problem, not necessarily the defective part. Some parts stores can read the code(s) for you but their equipment won't read sensor data or perform actuator tests.

The place to start is by having the code read.

Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 8:34 PM
  • faithjoe

I already knew this. I will call Lexus on Monday, but I thought you could give me some possibilities as to what the actual culprit is? (Assuming what I told you was recently done to the car). The oil level is OK and the car runs smoothly. Thanks, Faithjoe

Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 8:53 PM
  • caradiodoc

I can't tell what the problem is without knowing the nature of the fault code. It will be something related to emissions, not oil level, brakes, or anything like that. Since the engine is running ok, a likely suspect would be the emissions control system. Part of that system checks the fuel supply for leaks. A common cause of a leak is a loose gas cap. Besides that, it's impossible to guess until you find out what the code is.

Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 9:20 PM