SPEEDOMETER WON'T WORK ALL THE TIME

1993 Lexus LS 400

JoE5005

July, 18, 2008 AT 2:03 PM

1993 Lexus LS 400 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

So I recently bought a 93 Lexus from one of my dad's friends. Everything runs great, except, about every other day, the speedometer won't work, along with the RPM gauge. Now this wouldn't be a big deal to me, but in my town, cops are strict, and will hand out tickets left and right.

1) What could be causing this?

2) How much would it cost to have this fixed?

Thanks.

July, 20, 2008 AT 2:33 PM

Hi JoE5005,

If it is only the speedometer, it could be the speed sensor.

Coupled with the tachometer, I would suspect a poor wire connection somewhere or a faulty meter circuit board.

When the speedometer does work, is the tachometer working or both fails at the same time?

Sorry to say that I am unable to provide any costings.

JoE5005

July, 23, 2008 AT 12:53 PM

Yes, it is paired with the tachometer. Both work at the same time, then both do not work at the same time.

July, 30, 2008 AT 4:42 AM

Hi JoE5005,

Sorry for the late reply.

If both are paired when working, then it could be a bad power supply which might be from a poor ignition switch contact. However this should also affect other items like dash indicator lights etc.

If it is not a power supply issue, then you need to replace the control unit in the meter cluster.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Open Hood Video
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Dynamat Door Installation